Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Who Needs a Date?


Okay, I know very, cheesy title, I couldn't help myself.  One day I was searching through some internet recipes and came across someone's Larabar recipe and got the idea to make a version of my own.  I honestly don't remember where I found it and when I did a search for Larabar recipe I found a ton.  We call these "Date Balls" in our house and the kids love them.  My husband was not so keen on them, but that is probably because he doesn't care for dates (the dried fruit that is).

The great thing about these is that they are super easy, super fast, have little to no processed sugar (depending on which ingredient options you choose or have on hand) and I almost always have the ingredients in my kitchen.  Anyway, on to the recipe...

Chocolate Date Balls

Handful of nuts or nut butter (almonds, walnuts, pecans - preferably soaked and dried)
Handful of oats (could be soaked and dried too)
1-2 Tblsp Coconut (chips, oil, or shredded is fine)
1-2 Tblsp Cocoa Powder or 1/2 cup chocolate chips
1-2 Handful of pitted dates (I like to get them whole so that they don't have added sugar)

Throw the nuts and oats in your food processor and mix until there are small pieces or until it turns to a nut butter consistency (depends on your preference).  Add remaining ingredients and process until everything is sticking together and moving around the food processor as one cohesive unit.  You are pretty much done - now comes the fun part, roll your mixture into "Date Balls."  You can eat them right away or put them in the fridge to solidify.  Or you could roll them in chopped nuts or shredded coconut.  Enjoy!

This recipe is part of Real Food Wednesday over at Kelly the Kitchen Kop's site - check it out for more great Real Food Recipes.

Side note:  My son likes to roll them into "snakes or worms," if you or your children decide to do this I don't recommend serving them to others or leaving them lie around the house - they look rather unappetizing this way.




No comments:

Post a Comment