Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Where I've Been

Bangladesh - Mission Trip


I wish I could say that I was traveling around the world and that is why you haven't heard from me in awhile.  Instead I needed some time to focus on my family and kids as blogging seemed to be getting in the way.  I hope that will not happen this time, but it may since I am in desperate need of organizing my life.  While away though, I have started on a "Real Food" journey and have been learning a ton - with so much more to learn.  Here are a few of the things that I've tried over the past few months...making my own yogurt on a regular basis, starting a sourdough culture (capturing wild yeast), soaking grains and nuts, making bone broth, lots of canning, trying to make cider vinegar, and most recently experimenting with water kefir. This is of course in addition to caring for sick family members (including myself) from October to December, reading a few great books (Rebuild From Depression and Simplicity Parenting are definitely worth reading) along with crafting and shopping for holiday gifts.

Here are a few links to websites that I have been learning from (and enjoying immensely):

  • GNOWFGLINS - there is a free webinar this Friday (even if you can't be there, sign up and you will get a link to the webinar after it has happened)
  • Nourished Kitchen - this link is in regard to bone broth, but there is so much good information on this site
  • Simple Organic - this link is a great overview of the website with some favorite links (like the natural cold remedies)
  • Kitchen Stewardship - she has great recipes for traditional and Real Foods, with several of her own e-books
  • Traditional Foods - recipes and the science behind the reasons for soaking grains, fermenting and souring foods, author of Rebuild From Depression
  • Kelly the Kitchen Kop - love this link to healthy breakfast ideas
  • Just Making Noise - deaf mama on the mission field making real food
  • A Holy Experience - wonderful daily devotional and spiritual encouragement, helped me prepare my heart for advent
Costa Rica - Honeymoon
In the coming weeks/months I hope to share my Real Food journey in more detail as well as add some "Soul Food" entries - what God is teaching me along the way. As spring and summer approach I will likely add more gardening entries as that flows nicely with cooking and eating Real Food that is both Delicious and Nutritious!

P.S. These pictures were taken before kids, but one day we do hope to travel with the whole family.

No comments:

Post a Comment