Thursday, October 27, 2011

To Do List: Make English Muffins


On my To Do List for this week is making English Muffins.  Now I have tried this recipe (using half white wheat flour and half all purpose) that I found on Moneysavingmom.com previously, but of course I want to try something new since I have been learning about the benefits of soaking/fermenting your grains, legumes and seeds to reap more of the nutrition available in these foods.  Tomorrow I hope to try making "Sourdough English Muffins"- if my starter culture takes off.  So far it doesn't seem to be doing much of anything, so I may not be able to use this method tomorrow.  If this fails I could always soak the flour overnight and work with it the next day.  I'll let you know how it goes and what I end up doing.

I need to tell you that making English Muffins really isn't that difficult.  It is super easy and not nearly as difficult as bread making has been for me.  So, if you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

Next on my list - baking doughnuts, probably pumpkin spice, maybe even with an apple cider glaze.  We have deep fried doughnut holes in the past and they are always tasty, but it really kind of smells up the house.  Besides, baking is probably healthier and I'm always game to try new things.

FYI - I updated my Skillet Cookie Recipe.  Oat flour has always been the key to the flavor and success of the recipe, but we decided that more oat flour is better than less.  So I have increased the amount from 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups and reduced the amounts of the other flours.  Oh and coconut oil rather than palm oil is another great addition!

No comments:

Post a Comment