Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Mary or Martha?


I love to serve/help others. Behind the scenes is usually my preference, but it is what I like to do and it is often easy for me to do. This in itself is not a bad thing, but the other day I was challenged during my devotions by this statement from My Utmost For His Highest, "The greatest competitor of true devotion to Jesus is the service we do for Him." Hmmm... I began to ask myself some questions. Is my desire to serve selfish? Am I doing what God wants me to do or what I want to do? Do I serve because it makes me feel better about myself? What is my motivation for serving?

It never crossed my mind that my desire to serve could be hindering my ability to Listen to God. Immediately I thought of the passage in Luke where Mary was sitting at Jesus' feet while Martha was busy getting things ready. I can just picture the more Mary sat and listened to Jesus, the more Martha got upset that she was doing all the work by herself. (Luke 10: 38-42) My kids' Bible shows Martha in the kitchen with a very furrowed brow as she prepares the meal. I have often realized that I am much more like Martha than Mary. Both Martha and I are more "Doers" than "Listeners." And also like Martha I am quick to get irritated if someone who I think should be helping me is not. Do you resonate with Mary or with Martha? 

Lord, please help me to take time to "Be still and know that You are God." Help me to sit at your feet instead of always doing, doing, doing.

1 comment:

  1. I am very much a Martha. I think it is why I struggle feeling spiritually dry when I am pregnant. I am forced to be still during pregnancy by how sick it makes me. I want to be doing for God and your thoughts remind me that this is a season to be still and listen.

    ReplyDelete