Friday, May 27, 2011

Farm Fresh Eggs


Earlier this week I finally stopped by a house that often advertises "Fresh Brown Eggs."  I was amazed to find organic eggs for just $2 a dozen.  Just look at how yellow these scrambled eggs are!  What a difference the food that chickens eat can make.  It made me think about pregnancy and what we put into our bodies to feed ourselves and our growing baby.  (No I am not pregnant.)  Just the miracle of life was in my thoughts and how we can affect the life of our child.

Anyway, I was inspired to try these "Quinoa Eggs" after a friend commented on my Facebook page regarding how she likes to use quinoa.  I had made a larger batch of quinoa than I needed for the apricot salad last week so I threw some in my scrambled eggs along with some whipped cottage cheese for extra protein.  The results was quite delicious.  The great thing about it, my kids didn't even know it was in there and gobbled it up.  These will be the basis of my breakfast burritos for our road trip.

Quinoa Eggs

Ingredients:
Eggs
Cooked Quinoa
Whipped cottage cheese (optional)
Veggies of your choice, chopped
Cheese of your choice, shredded
Butter or oil for the pan
Salt and pepper

Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and add a touch of butter or oil.  Mix together the eggs, whipped cottage cheese and quinoa (I think I would recommend about 1/4 of a cup per 3 - 4 eggs).  Saute your chopped veggies for a few minutes then add your egg mixture.  Stir the eggs until they are cooked, but still slightly moist, season with salt and pepper.  Sprinkle with your favorite cheese and voila - your now have Quinoa eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment