Sunday, March 25, 2012

SHARE Wisconsin


Last month I came across a flyer for SHARE WI - a volunteer run buying club. Previously, in Denver, I had come across SHARE and tried it out and was not impressed. Although the prices were cheap, ALL of the meat was processed, and this was not clearly indicated in their flyer or on their website. I actually e-mailed them letting them know that I could buy conventional chicken (not processed) for much less than what they were charging. I never heard back from them and I never ordered from them again.

After having this experience I was curious as to what was available through SHARE WI. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the Fit and Frugal section with Organic/Natural products. And, I decided to try it this month. Yesterday I picked up my order from a local church and I must say, that I was happy with the result. If you are looking to eat natural/organic on a budget, it is definitely worth looking into. Above is what I received in my Organic Produce box. I also ordered a few of the Gerber Amish Farm chickens, despite not being organic or pastured, I decided to give it a try. Since the chicken I have been ordering from my CSA does not indicate that it is either organic or pastured, but is more expensive, I thought, why not.

For more information and to order for April, click HERE. It looks like not every state has a SHARE program, but here is a link to the few states that do.

I'm looking forward to the Black Earth Meats Ground Beef next month, three 1-lb packages for $12.95 (that's $4.31/lb). Through my CSA I pay $5.50/lb for the same thing. I buy a lot of ground beef to add to my ground venison (which is so lean, it has no fat, but it needs some fat for better flavor and texture).

Let me know if you decide to try it and what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment