Tuesday, April 5, 2011

My Favorite Pancakes


Sorry it has been awhile since I have posted anything.  Life got a bit hectic so I took a break from couponing and blogging.  Last week I visited a friend who gave me a huge pile of coupons to go through and after clipping coupons yesterday I am excited to get back into my old routine - which includes blogging.  And since today is my birthday I'm going to share my favorite pancake (and breakfast) recipe.

The original recipe came from Whole Foods online recipe finder.  I was looking for breakfast ideas with protein sources other than meat or eggs.  And that is when I came across this "Fluffy Cottage Cheese Pancake" recipe.  I was very hesitant to make them as I was not a cottage cheese fan and had tried a recipe for "Orange Cloud Pancakes" from the King Arthur Whole Grain cookbook, which contained cottage cheese and I did not enjoy them at all!  After the recipe sat on my recipe stand for awhile I decided to finally give it a try as the comments on the website were all very positive.  The whole family gobbled these down so quickly that they soon became a family favorite and I've been working on making them a bit healthier with whole grains and less cholesterol than the original recipe.  Before we discovered this recipe our favorite pancakes were homemade buttermilk pancakes, but to make the breakfast substantial we always made sausage, eggs, or bacon to go along with it.  Now I make a double batch of these and freeze them for easy midweek breakfasts.


Ingredients:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white wheat flour*
1 Tbslp ground flax seed (optional)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tblsp sucanat (or sugar)
4 eggs
1 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbslp canola oil (or other lightly flavored oil)
Canola oil cooking spray

Preparation:
In a large bowl combine dry ingredients (flour through sugar).  In a separate bowl whisk together wet ingredients (eggs through canola oil).  Combine wet and dry ingredients and whisk until completely blended.

Spray large skillet or griddle with cooking spray then heat over medium heat.  Pour 1/4 cup of batter on to skillet for each pancake.  Cook pancakes for two and a half minutes per side, until they are golden brown and cooked through.  Transfer to plates and serve.  Makes 12 pancakes, serves 4.

Side Notes:  I have tried King Arthur's white wheat flour in this recipe with not a lot of luck.  Lately I have been really enjoying Eagle Mills White Wheat - I can substitute nearly all white flour for this wonderful white wheat in most recipes.  

The picture at the top has the cottage cheese pancakes served with homemade blueberry maple syrup (left-over from some Blueberry Stuffed French Toast).

Recently I tried making my own granola bars and we loved them!  I've been experimenting with the recipe, trying to find things that you may already have in your house, but once I get the best result I will share the recipe with you - it's really not that hard to make your own.  Also look for my favorite salad recipes and the first recipe that I devoted to memory, actually I don't think I ever had a written recipe for it and still don't!

No comments:

Post a Comment