Monday, January 31, 2011

Super Bowl Appetizer


I'm not sure how many of you are interested in watching the Super Bowl from year to year. This particular year my desire is great as "my team" will be playing in it! Woohoo - Go Pack Go! So, now the question - to have a Super Bowl party or not. My football loving husband says no - he wants to focus on the game, not conversation or kiddos running around. But, if you are having or going to a Super Bowl party (or any other event for that matter) then you should really try this appetizer! It is extremely tasty and super easy.

Recently I became interested in "couponing" and saving large amounts of money on my grocery bill. And in printing out a coupon for Athenos I received this wonderful appetizer recipe. One day when Ryan was watching his beloved Packers play I decided to try out this new appetizer recipe as a late afternoon snack. I made a small batch in case no one cared for it, but we all loved it so much that I had to make a second batch. And since I had a ton of hummus in the fridge (from my great coupon deal) I was happy to oblige - and it was a very healthy snack. At a recent family gathering I made this appetizer with Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, sun dried tomatoes and no black olives - it was also delicious! My mother-in-law, who apparently does not care for hummus asked for the recipe. Although I used Athenos hummus for this recipe, I actually prefer Tribe Hummus as it is all natural and doesn't contain any of those icky ingredients. And here is some good news: there is a deal out there right now on Tribe Hummus, click on the link to receive your coupon, this coupon is good until the end of April and you can print as many as you want. I've found Tribe Hummus at Walmart and Woodmans (with coupon the hummus would be less than $1). Roundy's stores (Copps, Pick N' Save, Rainbow Foods) are having a deal on Athenos hummus and feta through Wednesday this week, so you could get both for $1 each, see details on pocketyourdollars.com if you still have your coupon book that you received in the mail.

5-Layer Greek Dip

Ingredients:
1 pkg. Hummus
1 pkg. Traditional Feta Cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped cucumbers
2 Tbsp. sliced kalamata olives
Pita Chips

Instructions:
SPREAD hummus onto bottom of 9-inch pie plate.
COVER with layers of remaining ingredients.
SERVE with chips.

Side notes: The recipe calls for original hummus, but I've tried this with various flavors and enjoyed all the options. Also, as mentioned previously if you don't have fresh tomatoes, try sundried (if you happen to have those on hand or find a really good deal on them). If you don't like olives, don't bother. But if you prefer black olives, try that - that is actually what I used. My aunt recently told me about a new more natural olive out on the market too. Lindsays carries a natural green ripe olive that is preserved with sea salt and water, no other icky preservatives or unknown ingredients! And they taste just like the black ones, not like Spanish olives. Oh and I have not yet measured any of my ingredients when making this, nor have I made a full batch - sometimes I make a small plate as an afternoon snack for the kids and I. Recently I went to a family event through church and a fellow couponer brought this with wheat thins. So, the sky is the limit with this appetizer! Whatever is on sale, or whatever you have in the fridge should work just fine! But as always, I promise it will be both delicious and nutritious! You can of course make your own hummus, but that is a recipe for another day! Next week look forward to my Tofu Fried Rice recipe, seriously something to try - even if you are scared of tofu!

No comments:

Post a Comment