Thursday, March 1, 2012

MYO - Liquid Dishwasher Detergent


In the past I had tried a powder version of homemade dishwasher detergent as well as some additions to extend the life of your store bought powder detergents, but haven't been truly satisfied with either of these options that I have tried. Then, I recently came across this simple liquid version which I usually have all of the ingredients on hand, but I was out of two of them. My Seventh Generation dishwasher detergent was nearly gone and I was at Target, where they did not have Castile Soap in bulk or tea tree oil, so I opted for the Cascade gel pack trial things since I had a coupon. BIG MISTAKE! Every time I used one of those things I felt like there was a chemical factory in my kitchen. The smell was atrocious to me. I couldn't wait to get more Castile Soap and tea tree oil so that I could try this new recipe.

Earlier this week I made the liquid dishwasher detergent and so far so good. However, this morning I noticed my glasses starting to get that hazy, cloudy look to them. I may just need to refill my rinse aid with vinegar. Otherwise it will be back to Seventh Generation. UPDATE: I added more vinegar to my rinse aid and the glasses came out clear the next morning.

Have you tried any homemade dishwasher detergents that have worked well for you? Please share if you have; I'd love to try it out.

This post is part of Simple Lives Thursday. Check out these websites for more great simple living tips, ideas and recipes.



Liquid Dishwasher Detergent

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup Liquid Castile Soap (such as Dr. Bronners)
  • 1/2 cup Water
  • 1 teaspoon Fresh Lemon Juice
  • 3 drops Tea Tree essential oil
  • 1/4 cup White Vinegar
  • 1 handful Baking Soda

Directions

  1. Combine ingredients from Castile Soap through White Vinegar (do not add the baking soda) in a squeeze bottle.
  2. Shake to mix thoroughly.
  3. Use one Tablespoon in each of the automatic soap dispenser compartments.
  4. Sprinkle a handful of baking soda over the dirty dishes and in the bottom of your dishwasher; this will help absorb odors and increase the cleaning capabilities at the beginning of the washing.
  5. Be sure to use white vinegar in your rinse aid.
Prep Time: 10 min Cook Time: 0 min Ready in: 10 min
Click to add this recipe to your Recipe Book
Liquid Dishwasher Detergent courtesy of Jamie Del Balso.

No comments:

Post a Comment